Friday, September 6, 2019

A Laid Back Wednesday

This week, even with the benefit of having Monday off for labor day, I felt the need for a well deserved break to gather myself for the rest of the week. This is the first semester that I have been legal to drink, so it has been exciting exploring the different places in the area. On Wednesday night, I decided it was a great opportunity to head to the Ott House for the first time with one of my friends who had beat me to the 21 mark.

I was super excited to see what their selections would include, as most of my close friends resort to mixed drinks on the weekend. Many of them don't have an appreciation for beer like I do. Once I sat down at the bar, my eyes gazed over to see what was on draught. I wasn't super happy with most of their options. I am not a fan of light beers most of the time, though they can be refreshing when outside on a hot day. Many of the other options were either something I wasn't familiar with or something I had never actually tasted before. I wasn't ready to invest in something that I wasn't sure if I would like.

I ended up deciding on the Yuengling Traditional Lager. I had had it before, however it had been a while. I knew it wouldn't be too light but not to heavy either. The ABV is only about 4.5% which is less than most beers I drink. It's nice amber coloring was reassuring as the bartender poured it into the pitcher (which was only $5). I thought getting the pitcher would be a good option because it was a good price, and plenty, even if I didn't want to finish it.

A Pitcher of Yuengling Traditional Lager

The lager was ice cold and had a nice crisp flavor as soon as I began drinking it. Although most are familiar with Yuengling, I was reminded how much I enjoyed it. It had a subtle bitterness that wasn't too overwhelming and balanced out perfectly with the sweetness.

I am certainly no expert when it comes to tasting beer and identifying flavors, so I decided I would Google the Traditional Lager and see what other people had to say about it and see if I had the same experience. A reoccurring theme was the toasted caramel malt flavor which I certainly could recognize. It's an easy drink and I'm super glad I revisited this beer, which I may have only tried once or twice before.

I really enjoyed my Ott's experience and thought it was an excellent idea for them to provide van transportation. The bar gets more business, and students who are 21+ can drink safely without worrying about transportation. 

Always remember that if you are going to drink, do so responsibly and stay safe. See you next week!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your beer commentary. Don't forget to try to relate your posts as much as possible to what we've been talking about in class, too!

    ReplyDelete