Friday, October 18, 2019

Sláinte

It has been a little longer than usual since I have posted on this blog and boy do I have a good explanation. I spent my entire fall break travelling to different locations in Ireland. With some of the most beautiful views I've ever seen, I took a well deserved break from the world and experienced the wonderful towns, restaurants, people, and beer.

Although not all the beers I was enjoying were lagers, I think it's okay to break my original topic, just this once. 

My first trip to Ireland was last year in June of 2018. It was my first time in Ireland, so I of course wanted to partake in going to the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin and then the Smithwick's Experience in Kilkenny City. I enjoyed both of them very much but this time, I leaned more towards Smithwick's Red Ale. I find it fairly light, but with a nice flavor and balance. I can easily drink them down and have a good time.

When we got to Cork later in the week, it was time to try the Stout that they're known for: Murphy's. The first sit was delicious. It was just as beautiful to watch settle as Guinness with the labeled pint glass. As much as I enjoyed the Murphy's and as much as the people in Cork prefer it over Guinness, I have to respectfully disagree. It had a great, full bodied flavor but an aftertaste that I did not prefer very much.

Another beer I was introduced to was Rockshore Irish Lager, which, obviously, is a lager. Although it didn't seem much different to the lagers that you find around here, it was very easy going down, with a smooth, crisp flavor that made you want to refill your glass. 

Overall, my trip to Ireland was amazing and I can't wait till next time. To anyone who is planning a trip, don't forget to include these beers somewhere in your travels!


No comments:

Post a Comment